Pin It

Pin any image to Pinterest with just a click!

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Back on Your Feet, Get Well Card

I still had my "Back on Your Feet" set sitting on my worktable (no surprises there!) so I thought I would make one more before I find another stamp set to play with.  I found this card here.  

What I thought was going to be a quick and easy card turned out to be just the opposite.  First of all when I went to texture the "Hammered" background, I found that the folder is one of the new ones and they don't work in the Big Shot. I did get one of them to work before but I couldn't remember what I used for shims. SO I was playing around with that.  I ended up using a thick piece of Fun Foam and a piece of cardboard from some Designer Series Paper (DSP).  But this time I couldn't get that combo to work either.  SO I added my silicone craft pad and ended up getting it stuck in the roller.  Fortunately hubby was home so I asked him to come help.  Not that this was going to ruin my Big Shot but this removal process required two people.  I pushed the Magnet Plate from one end while he pulled it out from the other.  I removed the embossing folder and the silicone pad (intact!).  Then I proceeded to find a better combo. I finally ended up with two thicknesses of thick Fun Foam and two pieces of the cardboard from the DSP.  Not the thick stuff, the kind that is like the thickness of a cereal box.  And it was a perfect match. I got the pressure I was looking for.  And when I'm done with this post, I'm going to trim up my foam and the cardboard and glue them all together so I have my platform for future embossing folders.  I just can't afford to buy a new machine. Besides, this machine is new. I got it two years ago for Christmas and just opened it up this past spring when I finally gave up my Big Kick.  So I'm not in the market for a new one.  But now I won't need a new one because I figured out how to get by without it!

The base of my card is a folded half-sheet of Very Vanilla card stock.  On top of that is a 4" x 5-1/4" piece of Basic Black card stock.  And the textured piece was cut at 3-7/8" x 5-1/8".  I taped those layers together and taped them to the card front.  

I stamped the giraffe from the "Back on Your Feet" using black Memento ink on Very Vanilla card stock.  I stamped the words from the same set using black Memento ink.  Then I sat at my worktable to color it.  I used the light Blends pens in Daffodil Delight and Pumpkin Pie.  I just colored the whole giraffe in using the Daffodil Delight pen and then I went to color the spots in (I missed one but colored it in later).  When I opened the pen a big dot of alcohol came out.  Note to self, "never open the Blends pens over your work". It dripped on the back of his neck.  So I thought I would try to cover the mess by using the light Pumpkin Pie pen and just color in all the "hairs" on the back of the neck".  It did not help with the blurred out mess.  I proceeded to finish coloring the light Pumpkin Pie parts and called it a done deal.

I trimmed the stamped piece to 3-5/8" x 2".  And I cut a Basic Black piece of card stock 3-7/8" x 2-1/4".  I taped the two layers together.  I didn't get them straight so I tried to straighten them out. I tried to pull up the bottom right corner and split the paper. So I added some glue. I really thought it wouldn't show.  Then I got the whole piece of card stock and tried to remove it from the black piece and it started to peel the black so I just gave up.  I was going to redo it but you know me, I show you the good, the bad and the ugly!!!  Fortunately it's the last card of the year which means the new year will be SO much better!!! (crosses fingers LOL).  It was supposed to be easy but I managed to make it difficult!!!

So it is what it is and you get the idea!  It's still a cute concept.

Thank you SO much for visiting today,
Wanda

No comments: