Pin It

Monday, September 12, 2016

A Tin of Cards, Timeless Textures, Birthday Card

Kimberly at Stampin by the Sea.  I think I've been to her site several times before.  She has some fun and lovely cards and every now and then there's one that I just HAVE to make.  I found this one on Pinterest and I clicked on the photo which brought me to Kimberly's site but it wasn't a direct link to her post.  I looked for the card for a little while but I had no luck finding it so I gave up.  When posting to Pinterest, it helps to get a direct link to the image you are pinning and not just to the blog where it came from.  So, I have no information for you on how Kimberly's card was made and what she used to make it.  I did change a number of things on the card. 

The base of the card is a folded half sheet of Whisper White.  On top of that is a piece of Whisper White cut 4-1/8" x 5-3/8".  Using Mint Macaron ink, I stamped the splatter image from "Touches of Texture".  I stamped it three times on this card.  I thought it could use a bit more splash than the one time that Kimberly had on her card.  Not to dis her card, it was lovely, I'm just saying what I did that was different.  

Next I stamped the words.  Mine came from the "Tin of Cards" set.  I don't know where the words came from on the original card. The words on the original card were not as tall as these are so the rest of the elements were down lower.  I liked that but I did what I had to do with the words I had.

I cut a 3/4" strip of Mint Macaron Decorative Paper from the 12" x 12" paper stack. I die cut the circle strip plus the larger flower image from the "Flourishes" Thinlits dies.  When I cut any of these Thinlits that have details like this, I always use waxed paper.  The dryer sheets work well too but I have found that they leave a film behind and the tape lifts up after a little while. So, waxed paper it is for me.  I also used the waxed paper to help me glue the die cut pieces in place.  I spread some white glue (I used Aleen's Tacky Glue) on the waxed paper.  I folded it in half and ran my fingers across it to get the glue to cover the waxed paper better and thinner.  Then I set the large die cut image on top and put another (clean) piece of waxed paper over the top and pressed the image down to get as much glue to stick to the back as possible.  It was almost completely covered.  Stampin' Up! has a fine tip glue pen to help with this kind of gluing.  Though I have found that by the time I got done gluing, the glue was dry where I first started.  So I came up with this quick and easy way for me to glue and I've been doing it ever since.  I set the large image in place. 

Next I took that strip of decorative paper and glued the lacy die cut strip to it.  I cut a paper doily in half and found one of the scalloped circle dies that fit nicely in the center of the paper doily and I cut it out using Mint Macaron card stock.  I taped that circle in place on the doily.  If you are making several of these cards, you can cut that circle in half and use it on the next card.  I didn't, I was only making one card. I taped the doily piece to the back of the decorative paper strip.  Then I taped that piece in place.  

I added a bit of gathered linen and used a glue dot to hold it in place on the card.  The flower is going over it, so you don't have to try to cover it completely.  You want to make sure the linen stays in place.  

The flower was stamped using Mint Macaron ink and fussy cut.  Kimberly had a different flower but this one was about the same size and resembled hers a lot.  I set it in place using Dimensionals. I added a rhinestone to the center and a few rhinestones on the focal panel.  

I thought it was pretty quick to make and put together.  I like how it turned out and I REALLY wish you could see Kimberly's fabulous card.  

Thank you SO much for visiting today,

1 comment:

Kristi Kelly said...

Love this card!